Thursday, July 18, 2019

Why Needles suck but Nurses don't

The other day I had to go get some blood work done.

I've had a lot of injections in my life as I was on daily growth hormone injections for four years.

Despite that, I really don't like needles. Daily exposure to them didn't make me unafraid unfortunately.

I was very nervous when I went in. I'm sure many of you feel the same way when you have to get blood taken.

Before this it had been maybe five years since I'd had a blood test.

Luckily the nurse who was drawing my blood seemed to realize I was nervous. I'm not sure if it was my shaking hands or the whiteness of my face that gave it away.

She was actually really nice. She asked me lots of questions about my life while she was looking for a vein.

I felt kind of bad because I have very small veins to go with my short stature and she was having a hard time finding one.

I gripped my phone like a vise and scrolled through Facebook while she was sticking me with the needle.

I didn't watch as I was kind of concerned I might faint if I actually saw the needle in my arm.

Luckily it only took a minute or two to take a vial.

I don't think I've ever been happier to not have a needle in my arm.

As she was writing my name on the blood. She told me we actually have the same birthday!

I think the fact that she made the effort to talk to me really helped. I walked out with a piece of candy and a new appreciation for nurses.

No comments:

Post a Comment